Myspace and Facebook, the Coke and Pepsi of the social networking world, are going each other tooth and nail. Myspace recently just announced it's launching of a new sweeping, advertising play. If your familiar with Google AdWords you will understand this concept (It gives users the ability to buy keywords and serve ads to users searching for stuff). Myspace's "MyAds" is targeted directly at the users themselves rather than "AdWords" targeting at what the users are searching for.
Anyone can go and buy ads by going to the MyAds site and signing up. There is a really easy tool that allows you to create a banner ad -- while you can upload your own image, graphic or corporate logo, and type out your message directly into it. Myspace then allows you to hypertarget your ad at a market based on the many ways the social network's 76 million active users define themselves. Age, gender, zipcode, hobbies, musical preference, etc. Like Google, rates vary depending on the target market; MyAd advertisers only pay when a user clicks on their ad, with prices starting at 25 cents per click-through.
Will this be a huge success or a horrible failure? The market that Myspace is targeting (small and medium sized businesses) is expected to be the hardest hit by the financial crisis in the coming months and years. They'll have way far few dollars to spend on marketing and advertising.
You decide...

1 comments:
I have to say, even though I don't have a MySpace or a Facebook account, this new advertising method kinda intrigues me... So if I understand it right you can purchase a word and when that word is used in a Facebook or MySpace page, it will automatically be formatted as a link to the purchaser's website.
I seen this type of advertising on other websites and with the popularity of social networking growing so fast, I'm not surprised to see these new forms of adds
Post a Comment